Treasurer Opportunity: Become a Trustee of Plant your Future
Can you help us expand and diversify the expertise of our Board of Trustees so that we can create a greater impact in restoring the rainforest and alleviating poverty?
We have an opportunity for a treasurer with a strong background in accountancy.
Our small charity, Plant your Future, is at an exciting period of growth and we are looking for new trustees to join our team so that we can achieve even more in the Amazon.
As we look to expand our work and scale-up our activities in the Peruvian Amazon, we’re particularly interested in recruiting new trustees with specific skills within accountancy.
What are we looking for?
Retired or practising accountant, familiar with financial administration and reporting. Or someone who is experienced with financial models and book keeping.
The key responsibilities of this role are to:
- Present financial reports to the Board of Trustees in a format that helps them understand the charity’s financial position.
- Assist the Managing Director (Peru) and the Trustees with maintaining monthly management accounts and preparing quarterly finance reviews for Board meetings.
- Review and work with Peru operations team to ensure robust and transparent systems for accounts including book-keeping and financial reporting
- Assist with financial planning and financial model development
- Advise the board on how to carry out its financial responsibilities.
- Oversee the preparation and scrutiny of annual accounts to be filed to the Charity Commission.
- Review and make recommendations on budgeting, cash flow forecasting and preparation of financial reports.
- Help facilitate strategic decisions by the Plant your Future team; reviewing and setting strategic goals to help the charity grow its income.
- Offer expertise and to be available for advice and enquiries on an occasional ad hoc basis.
- Attend and contribute to our AGM and three additional annual board meetings.
- Represent the interests of Plant your Future and for holding the organisation accountable for taking all decisions for the benefit of our beneficiaries
- Act as an advocate for the charity, including through professional and/or personal networks.
Trustees are encouraged to take on additional responsibilities, matched with their knowledge, skills, experience and interests, as their time allows – for example, joining working groups associated with specific projects or contributing to the creation of policies.
Required knowledge and skills:
- An understanding of the legal structure, purpose, and responsibilities of a charity
- An understanding of Plant your Future’s mission and the needs of beneficiaries
- Strong background in accountancy
All applicants must be able to demonstrate:
- A strong empathy for and interest in Plant your Future’s mission.
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of a trustees’ role.
- Recognition of the positive value of diversity and a willingness to promote equality and challenge unfair discrimination.
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to this role.
Time commitment: Trustees are expected to attend all board meetings. These usually take place quarterly, with additional meetings arranged if required. It may be necessary to allow time to familiarise yourself with reports or other details ahead of these meetings, and to participate in telephone/email discussions between meetings.
Location: There are no specifications in terms of location as we primary have virtual meetings and communicate digitally.
Expenses: This is a voluntary role. Reasonable “out of pocket” expenses, such as travel to meetings, will be reimbursed.
If you are interested in joining Plant your Future’s team of advisors and have some of the skills and experience listed above then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief expression of interest telling us why you think this role is right for you.